Dogs

Can Dogs Actually Eat Chocolate?

Can Dogs Actually Eat Chocolate?

We know what it’s like to get those puppy dog eyes. So when you crack open a packet of chocolate chip cookies, what do you do? It’s well known that dogs can’t eat chocolate, but what part of it is actually toxic to dogs? And more importantly, what do you do if your dog does accidentally ingest some chocolate?

So, Can They Eat Chocolate?

Short answer is: no. There’s a natural chemical in chocolate called theobromine, which is toxic to dogs.

The effects include:

Increased heart rate

Stress on kidneys

Stress on nervous system

Eating it can cause:

Seizures

Coma

Stopped heartbeat

Death

What to do if your dog has had chocolate

If you’ve noticed your dog has eaten any chocolate at all, contact your vet as soon as possible. Once your vet knows the type of chocolate and how much they’ve had, they can make an assessment and let you know what you should do well.

Make sure you keep the chocolate packet, so you can refer back to it!

What’s chocolate poisoning?

Poisoning happens when there is too much theobromine in your dog’s system. For every kilogram of your dog’s body weight, 20mg is enough to make them unwell. Your dog doesn’t need a lot of chocolate to feel the effects though, especially because the higher the quality of the chocolate, the more theobromine.

On average:

Milk chocolate contains 44-64mg

Dark chocolate contains 150-160mg

Unsweetened baking chocolate contains 390-450mg

Cocoa powder contains 800mg

White chocolate contains a trace

What’re the symptoms of chocolate poisoning?

Diarrhoea

Vomiting

Seizures

Increased heart rate

Rapid breathing

Restlessness and hyperactivity

Loss of coordination

But, can some dogs eat chocolate?

You might have heard about some dogs that can stomach chocolate, or maybe you’ve even given your own pup some and noticed no reaction. The type of chocolate and even the brand and make a difference, but don’t assume that they’ll react the same way every time. Overall, it's never worth the risk!